Start a Green Team
Green Teams are ad hoc groups of students, faculty and staff working to green the places they work and learn. Find out if a working group already exists in your building. If one doesn't learn more about how you can create a Green Team in your building here.
The Office of Sustainability and our campus partners provide many opportunities to volunteer on campus and beyond. Click here to learn more.
Serve as an Internship Mentor
We're always looking for new faculty and staff mentors in operations and beyond who are interested in supporting student research and program development. If you're interested, please email Emilie Rex at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Serve with a Working Group
Volunteering as a member of a working group is an excellent way to connect with other students, faculty, staff and administrators interested in campus sustainability topics. Here are some options for getting involved:
Education and Research
- The Education and Research Working Group seeks to build an integrated program of academic research, undergraduate and graduate education, co-curricular and service-learning opportunities, and community outreach that will move Indiana University Bloomington into a position of national leadership in sustainability studies. Click here to learn more.
Energy and the Built Environment
- The Energy and Built Environment Working Group strives to raise awareness of IUB’s energy use among faculty, staff, and students and implement strategies through behavior modification and innovative building design and engineering principles to maximize the efficiency of on-campus production and distribution systems as well as reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. Click here to learn more.
Environmental Quality and Land Use
- The Environmental Quality and Land Use Working Group strives to preserve, protect, and enhance IU's natural environment and human health through educational, research, and operational initiatives. Click here to learn more.
- The Food Working Group strives to promote high-quality dining options for IUB’s students, staff, and faculty that support sustainable agricultural and food distribution practices while minimizing energy use and waste generation. Click here to learn more.
Resource Use and Recycling
- The Resource Use and Recycling Working Group strives to work toward the IU Office of Sustainability 2020 Vision Goal of reducing the campus waste stream 40% by 2020. This will require “upstream” approaches that reduce the materials arriving on campus in the first place, as well as “downstream” approaches that capture reusable materials for reuse and divert recyclable materials for recycling. Click here to learn more.
- The Sustainable Computing Working Group strives to leverage resources, skills and knowledge with the goal of lowering the environmental impact of our technological practices and effectively employ technologies to lower the environmental impact of the campus and its constituents. Click here to learn more.
- The Transportation Working Group strives to promote a sustainable transportation system that will provide safe access and mobility for students, faculty, staff and visitors, and to ensure that individuals have a broad range of safe and convenient transportation options to walk, bicycle, carpool, or ride public transit to and around campus. Click here to learn more.